The Center for the Study of Liberal Democracy at the University of Wisconsin invites submissions for its annual First Book Manuscript Workshop. The book selected will be the subject of a day-long conference at which each part of the manuscript will receive critical commentary from scholars with related areas of expertise. The conference will be held in Madison, WI March 27, 2020. The Center will cover the costs of travel, accommodation, and meals for the author of the accepted manuscript. In addition to providing commenters for each part of the book, the Center will also sponsor an invited keynote discussant.
Submissions from political theory and political philosophy are welcome. Priority will be given to manuscripts that engage meaningfully with topics integral to the mission of The Center.
First Book Manuscript Workshop applications for 2020 are open.
The deadline to apply is October 1, 2019.
Manuscript Workshop Information
The workshop’s aim is to generate feedback for strengthening an almost-completed manuscript. To be considered, submissions must meet the following criteria:
- Authors should have the Ph.D. in hand by the submission date. Submissions based on dissertation work should have undergone extensive revisions.
- The manuscript must be single-authored.
- The submission must be the author’s first book.
- The draft must be complete and ready for distribution to commenters by January 1st, 2020.
- The version of the manuscript to be presented must not yet be accepted for publication by the date of the workshop.
Applicants should submit the following materials, as a single PDF file, to CSLD@wisc.edu:
- Brief description of the book, not exceeding 250 words, including a note on the current state of the manuscript.
- Table of contents
- Longer abstract (up to 3000 words), including a description of each chapter
The deadline for submission is October 1, 2019.