The Center for the Study of Liberal Democracy at the University of Wisconsin–Madison invites submissions for its annual First Book Manuscript Workshop. The manuscript selected will be the subject of a day-long conference at which each chapter will receive critical commentary from scholars with related areas of expertise. The workshop will be held in Madison, Wisconsin during the winter/spring of 2022, on a date that best accommodates the availability of participants. The Center will cover the costs of travel, accommodation, and meals for the author of the selected manuscript. In addition to providing comments for each part of the book, the Center will also sponsor an invited keynote discussant.Submissions from political theory and political philosophy are welcome. Priority will be given to manuscripts that engage meaningfully with topics integral to the mission of the Center.
First Book Manuscript Workshop applications for 2022 are open.
The deadline to apply is November 19, 2021.
Manuscript Workshop Information
The workshop’s aim is to generate feedback for strengthening an almost-completed manuscript. To be considered, submissions must meet the following criteria:
- Authors should have the Ph.D. in hand by the submission date. Submissions based on dissertation work should have undergone extensive revisions.
- The manuscript must be single-authored.
- The submission must be the author’s first book.
- The draft must be complete and ready for distribution to commentators by February 1, 2022.
- The manuscript must not be accepted for publication.
Applicants should submit the following materials, as a single PDF file, to CSLD@wisc.edu:
- Brief description of the book, not exceeding 250 words, including a note on the current state of the manuscript.
- Table of contents
- Longer abstract (up to 3000 words), including a description of each chapter
The deadline for submission is November 19, 2021.